Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
scorpioben007
Returning Member

Work in Ontario, live in Quebec, used prescribed method to enter T4 and the RL1 that only shows A, J, B1 and G2 (being private health plan), seems to duplicate RCC?

I have a T4 for Ontario, and a Releve 1 with only the Private Medical Insurance (has data in A, J, B1 and G2). The prescribed method I read was to enter my T4 for Ontario, and then to do SKIP for Releve 1. This created an automatic Releve 1 entry for that T4 with the info from the T4 that were automatically populated. From what I read, I was then to create a second T4/TL1 entry, and use QC as province this time, leave everything blank on the T4 portion and go to the RL1 and enter info from RL1. But I think its duplicating some values, showing up in both the automatic rl1 created before and the one I have to create manually. After I'm done, in the review, I see that I get an overpaid RCC (and my return is a LOT higher than it has ever been). I suspect I should delete B1 from the initial automatic rl1? Please advise (this is the online version which is VERY limited, can't see or edit my actual sheets)

The previous years I have used the CD software and the automatic import from CRA creates ONE entry combo of T4/RL1. This year, there was no T4/RL1 to import from CRA (unsure why) so when I did the import, it only got my investments stuff and I had to do the T4/RL1 manually but in 2 separate entries. I am not sure if this is new this year but I know there's a problem.

Please let me know what fields I need to update and how (and keep in mind this is the ONLINE version)

Thank you!

6 Replies

Work in Ontario, live in Quebec, used prescribed method to enter T4 and the RL1 that only shows A, J, B1 and G2 (being private health plan), seems to duplicate RCC?

Remove the added Relevé 1. You will complete your T4 and enter a Relevé 1, cases A, B1 & G2 will be automatically applied based on your T4 entries. Simply fill in case J for that Relevé1 (if not already entered). The double entries will be removed.

Footnote: We at TurboTax want to encourage you and your close family to take all necessary precautions to ensure your safety. Please review the articles provided below for more information during these difficult times: 

scorpioben007
Returning Member

Hello! Thank you for your quick reply!

Only one thing though, the amount in A of the releve 1 (which is the same as J), should I add it to the amount that was in box 14 of the t4? Because quebec seems to say that its an additional revenue... so for instance, if box 14 of the t4 was 70000$ (this is not a real value, I am just giving a fictional value), when I finished and did 'skip releve 1', I'm going back in the releve 1 to add J as you said. But, box A of the releve 1 that was automatically done is the same as box 14 of the t4. But the releve 1 I received only has an amount of 2000$ (again fictional). Should I add that to the 70000$ on the releve 1? So the T4 will show a revenue of 70000 and the releve 1 show 72000? Or do I not care about what was in box A of the releve1 i received and only enter box J?

Thank you!

If the T4 you received shows you ON in box 10, you do not have to change the figures that appear on the Relevé 1 which is attached to your T4. We will use the T4 figures only to complete the Quebec declaration. The numbers appear by default on the RL1, but do not affect a case like yours. Now, with regard to the Relevé 1 you received, it is probably linked to a taxable benefit from the QC side. This is often the case for private drug insurance which would be found in box J of the Relevé 1. In this case, enter a new T4, but enter only a description and choose QC in box 10 and then click Save T4 and Enter Relevé 1. Then complete this Relevé 1 with the information that appears in the different boxes and to the question "Do you only have a statement 1 and no T4 linked?" answer YES. Then click on Save and continue.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have lived this for several yrs now as a federal government employee who lives in QC but works in ON. I finally (with the helpf od CRA and Rev QC experts figured it out. Here is what you need to know:

1) Private Medical Insurance is a taxable benefit in QC.

2) you will only get an RL-1 if your employer has "offices" in QC.

3) Your RL1 will likely show the same amount in box A and J. This is the taxable value of your Private Medical Insurance. 

Some stuff from the T4 doesn't transfer well to your RL-1, so double ck!! When your T4 and RL1 do not match, here is how you align them:

RL1 box A (Employment Income) = T4 Box 14 + RL1 box J

RL1 box C = T4 box 18

RL1 box D = T4 box 20

RL1 box F= T4 box 44

RL1 box N= T4 box 46

RL1 box B1= T4 box 16

RL1 box 235= T4 box 85

OMG!!!!! I wish I had seen this answer YEARS ago!!!! How I have Struggled.  THANK YOU!!!!!

Super clear and VERY explful!!

Thank you so much for the feedback and assistance.