Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bigdaddy2570
Returning Member

Short term disability

I have received short term disability payments through my union and they have said they do not give a T4 or any other form because no tax was taken off.My question is where would I put the income on my tax return? Or do I not have to claim the income? Thanks.

1 Reply

Short term disability

It depends.

"Generally, if you pay the entire amount of the disability premium yourself, your disability benefits will be tax-free. This may bring your income while on disability closer to your current take-home pay.

If your employer pays all or part of the disability premium, your disability benefits will be subject to income taxes."

Information, as per Canada Revenue Agency (CRA):
Disability insurance - Canada.ca

• If your employer pays all or part of the disability premium, it is taxable.
  • If you paid for the coverage off of each paycheck with pre-tax dollars, then it would be taxable
  • If you paid for the insurance with post-tax dollars, then this would be non-taxable.
  • If a portion was paid with post-tax dollars and with pre-tax dollars and/or paid by your employer, then the percentage that was not paid with your post-tax dollars, would be taxable. (Your post-tax dollar portion would remain tax-free).

If your coverage is tax-free, then you are not required to include it on your tax return.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.