Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
posted Nov 24, 2019 5:16:51 AM

Taxable Benefits

Hi, 

I bought an employment insurance for my domestic helper outside of Canada. Recently, there was a payout from the insurance policy regarding my helper's medical condition covered from the employment insurance policy. 

My question is - when I file my personal income tax in Canada, is the payout from the insurance company taxable? If so, where (which line in tax form) should I put it under? 

Thank you,

0 3 1004
3 Replies
Level 6
Nov 26, 2019 12:13:30 PM

Hi, thank you for using Intuit turbotax Live Community

Most taxable payouts would be reported on a Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) information slip such as a T4A. The payer of the benefit would issue the slip. The T4A would be then entered in turbotax. If you are not sure if a slip will be issued or if this is foreign sourced income  check with the payer; they should be able to give you details on how the benefit should be handled.

Hope this helps 

Nov 28, 2019 1:07:04 AM

Hi, 

Thank you for your response. The payout is from an insurance company outside of Canada, so it's logical to be reported as foreign income. My main question is - whether or not the insurance payout (as a covered benefits for the employee, but paid to me the employer) taxable or not according to Canadian taxation? 

Thank you again, 

Level 6
Nov 28, 2019 10:05:18 AM

Hi, thank you for using Intuit turbotax Live Community

This is not a common type of payment; I am not sure you will receive an answer here. You may need to discuss the issue with the Canada Revenue agency(CRA) at 1-800-959-8281. You could get details of the type of account and payment and then discuss the scenario with CRA.

Hope this helps