Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
msandvar

Disability child, how come I have to put in his 2014 tax return info when he doesn't have one as he is only 1

I have a baby with disabilities and receive disability benefits. He is only 1 year old, why does it ask me to submit info from his 2014 tax return when he didn't have one?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Disability child, how come I have to put in his 2014 tax return info when he doesn't have one as he is only 1

The only info it wants is the federal and provincial personal deduction amounts, which is federally, $11,138 and provincially (BC) $9,869.  No need to do the tax return.

View solution in original post

6 Replies

The only info it wants is the federal and provincial personal deduction amounts, which is federally, $11,138 and provincially (BC) $9,869.  No need to do the tax return.

msandvar

Note: We will automatically claim the disability amount transferred from your dependant on the spouse with the highest income (after deductions).  If that person is not the current designated transfer recipient, you will need to update your records with the CRA first before you can NETFILE. Otherwise, you will need to print and file your return, with the updated T2201. For more information, click here.

To correctly calculate the disability amount transferred from your dependant, add the amounts from ___ 's 2014 tax return.

I don't understand this though.. it asks for amounts from his return which he doesn't even have?

and then it says..

Child care and disability supports deductions claimed for Ethan by anyone   

Total of Schedule 1 lines 300 to 315   

Amount on line 260   

___ 's provincial personal amounts (Form 428 from lines 5804 to 5840)   

Check this box if Ethan was not a resident of British Columbia at the end of 2014.  

-- thank you for your help.. I don't understand taxes at all! And why will It change to the spouse with higher income.. do we have to fill out that form all over again?

I already answered your question above.  If you go to the Canada revenue website and search for schedule 1 and look at the line numbers, it will tell you what you want to know.  The same thing with BC428 or any other province you happen to be in.  The automatic default to the person with the highest income, usually needs the deduction more.  There is no point in wasting the deduction on someone who has not paid much income tax.

If you don't understand how income tax rolls out, take it to a preparer.  Errors cost you money in errors and penalties.
msandvar

Thank you for your answers! I might have to take this to someone as it's not as simple now that we have a baby with disabilities

It is not simple and you will need to be able to access a number of different support options, some of which will want to see your income taxes to qualify.  It is a long road.
msandvar

yes I actually was trying to look at charity options and many want your income taxes. Long road indeed.