Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
posted Mar 29, 2024 4:29:38 PM

Turbo tax says I have sold my principal residence when I have not. How can this be fixed?

When I tried e-filing it was not accepted by CRA because what they see is I have sold my primary residence. I went back over my taxes and could not find any place to correct this.

0 16 1100
16 Replies
Mar 30, 2024 2:05:20 PM

Are you using TurboTax CD/Download or TurboTax Online?

Mar 30, 2024 2:07:31 PM

I downloaded the program, not from CD

Mar 30, 2024 3:56:22 PM

You can go into Forms mode, then select the PRWS form on your return. Click Edit from the top grey menu, then Forms > Clear Current Form.

Returning Member
Apr 4, 2024 4:00:28 PM

I think this is a program bug. I have the same problem. 

Apr 4, 2024 4:37:02 PM

@TedH1 

To fix this, you can go into Forms mode, then select the PRWS form on your return. Click Edit from the top grey menu, then Forms > Clear Current Form.

Returning Member
Apr 7, 2024 1:27:18 PM

I have the same problem.  The generic message I'm getting is "One or more entries in your return require correction.  The data entered is either invalid or mandatory information is missing."  When I print the CRA version of my spouses return, I'm getting the "Principle Residence Designation Worksheet".  Certainly a bug.

Apr 7, 2024 1:40:01 PM

@Phil6226 You can go into Forms mode, then select the PRWS form on your return. Click Edit from the top grey menu, then Forms > Clear Current Form.

Returning Member
Apr 9, 2024 7:02:13 AM

This step doesn't work.  The form is blank, but is still there.

Apr 9, 2024 9:36:22 AM

You can remove the form as seen in the image below.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

Returning Member
Apr 9, 2024 10:57:25 AM

Please forward this issue to development. It is poorly designed and the process to resolve does not really lead you believe you are successful. Yes it does work but a completely unnecessary step.

Should be a simple question. Did you sell your primary residence in the tax year: Y/N

Thanks

Ted

Apr 9, 2024 11:08:42 AM

Thank you for your feedback, we value your opinion and will share this information with the proper TurboTax team.

Apr 15, 2024 6:41:34 PM

I follow the step of Edit - Forms - Close Unused Forms but it's still there.  I close the software and reopen.  How can I get rid of the form?

Apr 16, 2024 1:29:35 PM

Open the form then go to Edit- Forms- Clear forms, then close unused forms. If this doesn't work, please go to EasySteps and to the top right click on "FIND" and type in Principal Residence GO. Then make sure that you never checked off the box. If yes, please uncheck it and click on continue to update the changes.  You can then go back to FORMS mode.

Apr 18, 2024 5:54:59 PM

I have tried clearing unused forms and double checked that I do not have these boxes checked, and I still can't get rid of the PRWS form ??? I cannot netfile because the CRA thinks I have not completed the principal residence worksheet! I did not sell my house

Apr 18, 2024 5:58:58 PM

@kabbott Please contact our phone support team at 1-888-829-8608 for further assistance.  

Returning Member
Apr 20, 2024 7:51:34 PM

The only way I was able to Netfile my wife's return was to create a return with just her on it.