Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lukasvc

While reporting my T4E I fill out box 14,15 and 18, but when I try to submit it, an error code comes up for box 14 telling me to fill it in, all the amounts are the same

I am a registered Indian, so I should not be taxed on employment insurance, that is why the amounts in box 14 and 18 are the same.
1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

While reporting my T4E I fill out box 14,15 and 18, but when I try to submit it, an error code comes up for box 14 telling me to fill it in, all the amounts are the same

Exclude the amount in Box 15.

View solution in original post

9 Replies

Exclude the amount in Box 15.

lukasvc

Thanks, this worked. Just wondering why this happened? Could it look suspicious?

As the amount if Box 15 is already included in the total of Box 14 the income has been reported correctly for tax purposes. I will pass along the error to Technology for further review.

What makes you eligible for box 18? My husband was on paternity leave, we live on reserve and he is status. He does not work on reserve but he received his paternity El there and is status. Does that mean he shouldn't be taxed on the EI parental benefit? I can't find much real information about this. 

Because your husband is a registered Indian (he has status) this makes him eligible.

Box 18 - Tax-exempt benefits

This box applies to Indians registered, or eligible to be registered, under the Indian Act.

You will exclude box 15 which the amount is already included in box 14.

Okay so for my T4E I’ve filled out Box 14 and 18 for exemption. When I leave there I’m asked was I paid EI... blah blah (yes) 

then it tells me to enter the amount in the letter I received - did that. Still won’t allow me to file. I’ve deleted and tried 4 times to fill out the info and it tells me “fail to Netfile, due to errors” I double triple and quadruple check, it says the amount can’t exceed the amount in box 14? It doesn’t... it’s the same amount. This was even using auto fill, I’ve manually done it... 

frustrated!!! 

TurboTaxHeba
Intuit Alumni

For more clarification on your question, please contact support:

https://support.turbotax.intuit.ca/contact/

stevia1

I also have the exact same problem, I am receiving child benefits and have a box 14 and 18 and they are the same amount but it keeps telling me an error that it is higher than box 14.

is there a way to fix it?

TurboTaxHeba
Intuit Alumni

If you did not receive a letter from the Employment and Social Development department, then answer "No" to the question under the T4E when it asks if you have EI for employment or maternity. This question will pop up after you finish filling your T4E slip and will show under the slip.

If you answer "Yes" it will open a box and asks to report the amount you have received in the Letter from the Social Department. If you have not received any amount this should be zero.

If you have filled this box already with a number, then follow this process:

- keep your answer Yes

- drop the amount to zero

- change the answer to No

- the error will go

if you change the answer from Yes to No while there is an amount in the box, the error will remain.

I hope this was helpful

If you still have issues after following this process, please contact our support line: 

https://support.turbotax.intuit.ca/contact/