After you file

It's not the IRS, it's all those individuals in the government from the previous governing component and any before that effectively disabled, and or neglected the IRS, leaving it in a state of desperate need of manpower, not unlike what the Postal Service found itself in, so that it became near impossible to effectively carry out its responsibilities in a timely manner. That handicap was magnified in the wake of the pandemic.

I sympathize with anyone struggling or not, facing such a delay in having their funds delivered as required.

I have been waiting for an amended 2017 tax return that was confirmed received in November of 2019 for a considerable missed additional refund, prompted by a CP2000 claiming I owed $2400. My amended tax was apparently ignored by the IRS until that was cleared up in Jan 2021. The amended was then denied in error according to an IRS publication I found in June 2021, appealed and confirmed received and assigned in Aug 2021. The last call for an update 2 wks ago informed me that it was reassigned in Jan 2022 and should be completed in 20 wks from that date. In other words I'm approaching the end of a second 20 wk processing window in June, and a 3 yr anniversary in Nov 2022 if it still is not completed by then. I have absolutely no idea when it will be completed.

I can't blame the IRS force for doing what they can with what they have in fairness. Just hold those responsible accountable for the madness.