After you file

Had another call with ITIN department. This time I got a different response: most likely ITIN was rejected because I cannot claim child tax credit while applying for ITIN. Instead I should have selected other/additional child credits in 1040. They were not able to explain what exactly this means and what needs to be modified in 1040.

Then I've asked if I can still re-apply for ITIN and make 1040 modifications (whatever it is). Initially response was - yes, then it should be an amendment 1040 and finally no, it's not possible now because I can select other/additional child credits only if I already have ITIN or prior to Apr 15th.

In both calls ITIN employees made lot of requests to research more. That's fine, but I'm under the impression that they didn't really know exactly why it was rejected and what are the next steps.

I'm lost. If someone could please provide feedback, explanation and what are my options now. Maybe share how they got ITIN (what was selected in 1040 for dependent child, etc.).