Anonymous
Not applicable

Help on answering some Pennsylvania state tax return questions

Hi, we are using Turbotax for the first time to file this year and have three questions that we're hoping the nice folks on here can help us with.

First, neither my wife nor I are retired (both in our 30s) and we're asked what kind of retirement income we have. We don't have any. There is an option: "I'm not eligible yet; plan's eligible in PA." What does the "plan's eligible in PA" mean? If we were to be retired, our income would come from our respective 401ks and IRAs but the currently selected box (as shown in the picture) also doesn't mention 401ks. What do we put here?

Screen Shot 2023-02-13 at 9.48.14 AM.png

Second, we come to this screen and see 6 entries for dividend income. However, we only inputted two 1099-DIVs from our Vanguard brokerage (from our respective brokerage accounts). The two dividend amounts are recorded correctly in the top black box but what's with all the other ones? Clicking "Edit" on these extraneous entries gives a screen titled "Adjust federal dividend income" and a checkbox labeled "This dividend is a tax exempt interest dividend since it was issued by Pennsylvania (or a political subdivision within), Guam, Puerto Rico, Virgin Islands, or the Northern Mariana Islands. Or for another reason for which the state allows" being checked. Are these extra entries expected or did we do something wrong?

Screen Shot 2023-02-13 at 9.48.51 AM.png

Lastly, we get to this page where it shows a summary of our income. Our wages and interest income appear correct. However, our dividend income is ~$3,000 higher than it showed in the total in the previous picture. Let's say the previous picture had "Federal Ordinary Dividends" as ~$1,000, this entry under "Divides & Capital Gains Distributions" in the below picture has ~$4,000. We didn't have any capital gains distributions as we reinvested dividends back into the market. Why is there a discrepancy in this total?

Screen Shot 2023-02-13 at 9.51.26 AM.png

Thank you for all your help!