AmyCA

Deductions & credits

What I want to know is, why does the sum of the deductible portion of Self-Employment tax and the Self-Employed Health Insurance deduction -- both of which are shown clearly on the main part of the 1040 Form (Part II), show up in Turbotax's calculations for Schedule 1116 related to Foreign Tax Credit (thus generating the requirement for us to figure out where Turbotax is getting that number on Schedule 1116 from and then explain it to the IRS) -- when it never has in previous years?  (I have had foreign tax credits before on my tax returns AND I have had both self-employment tax and self-employed health insurance for several years preceding 2020's tax return and never run into this explanation requirement in the "Federal Review" errors section.)  And why TurboTax doesn't inform us where it is getting this line 3b information from in the Schedule 1116 worksheet so we have the information we need to explain it to the IRS (without stumbling across the number in looking at the forms TurboTax is generating -- or finding this question in the forums, thankfully).