iw-carey

My husband has Power of Attorney for his mother. Can he sign up for turbo tax and file on behalf of his mother?

Getting started

You can use TurboTax to file a tax return on behalf of someone. Technically speaking, the CRA’s NETFILE service is for people who prepare and file their own returns and is not intended for people filing returns on behalf of others. But, it's understood that many people trust their spouse/partners, friends and family to prepare their returns for them.

For people who file tax returns on behalf of others professionally and use the CRA's E-File service, it is recommended you use professional software such as Intuit's ProFile. You can then apply for a Representative Number which will allow you to obtain information on behalf of clients and use the CRA's AutoFill My Return (AFR). As an E-filer you must also register and be approved for an E-File number that allows you to file on behalf of these clients. 

Please check this TurboTax FAQ for more information: Can I use NETFILE to file someone else's tax return?

If you require further assistance please contact our phone support team or contact us directly on Facebook or Twitter.