Where do I enter my "allowable vehicle expense" into my tax return?

Investors and rental owners

We can certainly guide you to claim vehicle expenses into your tax return. Bellow, we will present two alternatives to report your vehicle expenses, please chose the alternative that best fits your situation:

If you are self-employed, please follow these steps in TurboTax online:

1. Go to the right of your tax return and click on "Income”, scroll down and select the “Self-Employment” option.
  2. Select “Business or professional activities”
  3. TurboTax online will open a new page call “Your Self-Employment or Business Summary” and click on the "Edit" option.
  4. Click on Motor vehicle expenses (Including interest and leasing costs)
  5. Then select the “Add a Vehicle for business use”
  6. Fill up all the information that is applicable to you on the page titled “did you have any work-related vehicle expenses?”
  7. Once you complete all the information, select “Done with Auto”.
  8. By clicking on Done with Auto, TurboTax online will bring you back to the “Motor vehicle expenses summary page”, and then you can click on “Done with vehicle”

If you are employed, please follow these steps in TurboTax online:

1. On your tax return, go to the top right and click on "Find”
  1. Select “Employment Expenses” from the list, and then click on “Go”
  2. Click on the “Yes” button
  3. TurboTax online will open a new page call “Your Self-Employment or Business Summary” and click on the "Edit" option.
  4. Click on the checkmark “Motor vehicle Expenses” and then “Continue”
  5. Fill up all the information that is applicable to you on the page titled “Employment-Related Driving”
  6. Once you complete all the information, select “Done with Vehicle”.
  7. By clicking on Done with Auto, TurboTax online will bring you back to the “Motor vehicle expenses summary page”, and then you can click on “Done with vehicle”

Thank you for using TurboTax