New Member

How can I claim travel for northern living allowance when spouse claims both?

My spouse claimed both of the northern living allowance and travel. How do I input my travel without clickin the box for living in a prescribed zone because then it brings up an error saying only one person can claim the northern living allowance eve though I have left both blank except for my trip?


Investors and rental owners

I'm sorry but if one is claiming this travel expense, then the other cannot.

Quoting from the CRA website - "You cannot claim a deduction for travel benefits if:

  • you or any member of your household received or was entitled to receive non-taxable amounts as travel assistance, a travel allowance, or as a reimbursement for travel expenses; or
  • someone else has already claimed the deduction for travel benefits for this trip on their return."

This is from the link below directly from the CRA:

Line 255 - How much can you claim as a deduction for travel benefits?