Danno67

Confusion about HBP form in TT

I don't understand the difference between filling in Section 1 Part A on one return and the same numbers on Section 1 Part B on the spouse's return, except that they give me two different answers!

We have one spouse who contributes to her own RRSP and withdrew $17,000 for the HBP. Her husband, who contributes to his own RRSP, withdrew $6,900 from his RRSP for the same HBP.

If I fill in his numbers in Part A of his return, I get a positive result on line 3, but if I fill in his numbers in Part B of her return, I get a zero sum. To me, the questions are the same, so why the different results. 

Am I supposed to fill in her numbers in Part A of her return and his numbers in Part B of her return and then his numbers in Part A of his return and her numbers in Part B of his return? 

It's very confusingly worded.

Investors and rental owners

@Danno67 you must only fill in part A for each of them with the amounts that they withdrew from their own returns. Part B does not apply to either of them, it is only used if he withdrew from her RRSP and vice versa, not from their own. 

View solution in original post

Danno67

Investors and rental owners

Thanks. I didn't realize that spouses could withdraw funds from each other's RRSP.