actcdd1

Rental expenses before rented out

I bought a new condo in Toronto, I ha e the interim closing in Jun 2018 and the final closing in Dec 2018.  I bought it as an investment to earn rental; however, it can only be rented out after final closing, so I did not receive any rental income from this condo in 2018 yet.  For the 6 months, I have been paying occupancy fees, insurance for landlord, utilities and interests on loan; do I claim them as rental expenses on T776, carrying charges on investments, or capital expenses to adjusted cost base.  In addition, this is my second rental property.  Thanks.

Investors and rental owners

They are certainly not capital expenses since they don't provide a lasting benefit. To me you should treat it as a rental expense, as if you had a property but had not found a renter.

If you're claiming a capital cost allowance on your properties, keep in mind that you cannot claim a cca to decrease your rental income to less than 0.

actcdd1

Investors and rental owners

Thank you; that means I shall be reporting with the form T776 for entering the expenses and 0 income?