kqx
Returning Member

Living in the States Temporary. Declared Non-Resident, Can I still file Non-Resident Taxes Through Turbotax?

Hi, I'm so new to this. I moved to the states a year ago. I am declared as non-resident from Canada. I have taxes that I need to file from my investment. I'm wondering if Turbo has the option to file under non-resident. I briefly read somewhere that I need to file by paper? Not sure if that's accurate. Thanks! 

Investors and rental owners

Yes, you can use TurboTax software to prepare a non-resident return. However, TurboTax Live services like Assist & Review and Full Service are not-recommended for non-residents.

And, yes, normally non-residents would have to print and mail their returns. However, due to the delays that the Covid-19 situation has caused the postal system, the CRA has decided to allow non-residents to fax in their returns. You can find the correct mailing address and fax number that you will need on their website: https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/corporate/contact-information/where-mail-your-paper-t1-retur...

kqx
Returning Member

Investors and rental owners

Thank you so much for replying, Susan. 

I'm wondering why is it that it's not recommened to use live. There are investment sold (capital gain) I have no idea how to calculate. Could I still use the live assist or it has to be done by myself?

Thanks for informing about faxing would be an option. I tried to click on the link, but it looks like it doesn't work. Where could I look up for their fax info? Thanks!