larryanta
Returning Member

Self-employed

As an independent food delivery driver for Uber Eats, I can attest to the difficulty of getting any meaningful answers to GST/HST questions from them.  (The information they do provide online is very generic.)  After having thoroughly read Intuit's (really excellent) article "GST/HST Reporting Requirements For Food Delivery Services" by Hebatollah El-Kady, there are still nagging questions surrounding GST/HST.  Like @giannou I voluntarily registered for a GST/HST number and gave it to Uber.  I exclusively deliver food for them; I take on no passengers.

My concern is that Uber occasionally provides me with copies of trip invoices for my food deliveries.  They're invoices addressed to the restaurant.  They contain the restaurant's name, address, GST registration number, invoice number, the date of the food pickup, the charge for my delivery services, HST (at 13%) on that delivery charge, and the gross amount (the charge plus the HST).

I can match up the gross amount with my earnings.  Uber pays me the gross amount (less a 35% cut of it that they keep for letting me use their delivery application).  The gross amount matches my earnings statement for each trip exactly.

The reason for my concern is that these trip invoices contain the words, "Tax invoice issued by Uber Portier B.V. on behalf of:"  Those words are followed by my name and my GST registration number.  I think it's reasonable for me to assume that this trip invoice was paid to Uber by the restaurant.  Since Uber now has the HST that was charged to the restaurant for my delivery service and since Uber gave me the gross amount, including that HST, surely I have to remit the HST to the CRA since it's not mine to keep.

I completely understand that it is not TurboTax's responsibility to untangle the inner workings of Uber Eats payments to drivers @Jeffuuright .  However, as a tax expert, what would be the best advice you can give to a TurboTax user such as myself who has no hope of getting an answer from Uber Eats but has been given clear evidence in the form of trip invoices that HST has been collected against my GST registration number?