bmwidd

How do I determine the opening balance for CCA on a vehicle that I bought after leasing? Buy-out value from the lease or fair market value of the vehicle at the time?

I leased a vehicle for several years and claimed it on my taxes as such.  After the lease was over, I purchased the vehicle outright (ie: without financing it).  How do I determine the opening balance for CCA purposes?  Do I use the buy-out value from the lease or do I use the fair market value of the vehicle at the time (which was about $10K higher than the buy-out value)? 

Also, which class do I enter the vehicle as?  It was more than $30K at the time that I started the initial lease, but the buyout/value at the end of the lease was less than $30K, so I'm assuming I enter it as a class 10 as opposed to a 10.1?

Self-employed

You would treat this as if you actually purchased the vehicle in the year. Your cost of this addition will be the amount you actually paid for the buy-out (or residual value), and you will use the date you made the buyout as your "date of acquisition". The half-year rule will apply as you have actually purchased this vehicle from leaseholder.

And yes, you would add this vehicle as a Class 10 asset. 

https://turbotax.intuit.ca/tips/what-is-capital-cost-allowance-2016

ermupa
Returning Member

Self-employed

What happens if a few months after your buy-out you have an accident with total loss of the vehicle and the insurance company paid not the buy-out price but the fair market value of the car (which is higher)?

Is that considered a capital gain and therefore treated as income? Or is it considered that during the lease payments period you've paid part of the vehicle which you finished paying with the buyout?

What I mean is the car has been paid with a lease payments (with the right to own it) plus the final buyout amount, the accident caused a total loss of property and the fair market value amount received was less than the original manufacturer's price used in the lease calculations.  Is there any capital gain in this case?