Seniors and students

Thank you for choosing Turbotax,

You cannot claim an eligible dependant tax credit for your son. As per CRA, your son must be under 18 years of age or had an impairment in physical or mental functions if you want to claim an eligible dependant tax credit for him.

However,  your child can transfer his tuition tax credit to you.  Your child must first claim the tuition amount on their own tax return. If there is any amount left over after your child has claimed the tuition amount, they have two choices: transfer it or carry it forward. This comes up a lot since students don’t typically earn a lot of income while going to college or university.

Your child can transfer up to $5,000 of the tax credit, less the amount used to reduce tax owing.

If your son depends on you for support because of a physical or mental impairment, you can also claim Canada caregiver credit. An individual is considered to depend on you for support if they rely on you to regularly and consistently provide them with some or all of the basic necessities of life, such as food, shelter, and clothing. 

Please visit our TurboTax article on How do I enter tuition transferred from my spouse/partner or my child?  and How do I transfer my unused tuition credits to someone else? to learn more about how to claim the tuition tax credit.