If child at school and part time working, could entire tuition be transferred to single parent, who paid tuition, or only unused portion of tuition can be transferred?

Seniors and students

First, any tuition that the child may have must be used to reduce their own tax payable. If they have any left over, or they have no tax payable then they can transfer the tuition to a parent. However, that parent can also only use the transferred tuition to reduce their tax owing. If the parent owes nothing, or is getting a refund, then they can’t use the transfer, even if they are the parent who actually paid the tuition.

Here is how to enter tuition transferred from a spouse or child: https://turbotax.community.intuit.ca/replies/2647703

View solution in original post

Seniors and students

All my and my daughter's (she has no taxable income) entries match the instructions, but when I get to the transfer entries I get red icons on both federal and provincial boxes and notes that my transfers from my daughter are zero

Seniors and students

To correctly calculate the tuition credit from your dependant, the amount from the Tuition Transfer Amount page must be completed form your dependents tax return and TurboTax will compute the maximum credit available to you.

If you choose to manually change the Tuition amount transfer, to more than the maximum available, you will experience an error message in red. Review your daughter's tax return make sure you are entering from the correct line and form, in this case, her Schedule 11 and TurboTax will calculate maximum credit available to you.