Social Assistance payments are not taxable income....
New Member

Seniors and students

Social Assistance payments are not taxable income.  So whether the income is reported on your return or your husband's return won't affect the taxable income...however, by reducing your husband's income by the amount shown on the T5007, you are increasing your spousal credit that you can claim for your husband.  While Social Assistance is not included in taxable income, it is included in net income, and the spousal credit is reduced by the net income of the spouse.  This is actually one of those rules for preparing taxes that benefits the taxpayer, as it increases the credits and decreases the taxes owed.
This widget could not be displayed.