Seniors and students

Unfortunately, you cannot choose to carry forward your tuition amounts. You must claim your tuition, education, and textbook amounts in the year they are incurred and you must claim any carry forward amounts in the first year you have tax payable. Although you may have no "working income", your Disability payments are likely taxable and the tuition credits will apply before any medical credits you may have.

If you have tuition carryforwards on file with CRA, they will be applied to your return automatically, even if you attempt to carry them forward. This means if you were to file your tax return without including the tuition carry forward amounts, CRA would include them for you and make you use them. :(