carole11

How do I change (lower) the amount of federal and provincial tuition claimed for 2018 which has been calculated by the program?

The program has automatically entered an amount in the boxes and I would get a big return but I would prefer to lower the amount of tuition used, and lower my return this year so I can use the amount when I have a higher income.

Seniors and students

You shouldn’t change the amount of tuition unless you’ve made a mistake entering in your T2202A amounts or you your Notice Of Assessment has a different amount for your tuition from previous years. If you change the amount, you’ll have to come back and adjust your return (and any future returns) if you want to recover the amount you took out.

Also, the tuition credit is non-refundable. You only get the credit if you have tax payable. It will not add to a refund. So if you are already getting a refund, reducing your tuition is not going to change anything.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Seniors and students

I got my T220a refund amount from CRA but after filing I noticed it's different from the one the college provided. How do I change this ? 

Seniors and students

@Jcrao As I said above, you can’t get a refund from a tuition credit. So if you are getting a refund, it’s not going to be the same amount as you had on your T2202, because that’s not where the refund is coming from.