cull123

Medical expense cosmetic eligible

My spouse is claiming surgery medical expenses for the year 

Cosmetic surgery seems to be a gray area and is reviewed on a case-by-case basis.  Since the amount is significant $7000+, what can I expect from CRA should they make contact?  I am in the process of obtaining a supporting letter or documentation from the surgeon that indicates the surgery was medically necessary - not for vanity.  Would the return be flagged for review BEFORE a refund is issued?  Would medical records be required?  

""Cosmetic surgery after March 4, 2010 – an expense for cosmetic procedures incurred after March 4, 2010 will continue to qualify as a medical expense only if it is necessary for medical or reconstructive purposes, such as surgery to address a deformity related to a congenital abnormality, a personal injury resulting from an accident or trauma, or a disfiguring disease.""

Credits and deductions

Should CRA contact you for additional information the receipt for payment, type of surgery performed and the letter from your physician describing the surgery and meeting the CRA guidelines should be all that your require. Medical records will not be asked. It is possible that they may request the information before processing the tax refund but more likely to occur after the fact during the summer/fall period.