ksung1011

What is the proper way to file for my parents online?

I made a new TurboTax account with my name to file for my parents. When the website asks "Who are you preparing this return for?" Do I select "My spouse/partner and me" or "Someone else"? By choosing "Someone else", an option displays showing that I can file a married or common-law return. I also found this statement on the CRA website: 

Restrictions

There are certain types of tax returns that can’t be sent to the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) electronically:

• a return for any taxation year other than 2014to2017; or
    • a tax return for another person (for example, if a taxpayer prepared a spousal/family return, each taxpayer must send his or her return separately).

Does that mean that I have to make an account in my parent's name and choose the "My spouse/partner and me" option in order to file for my parents electronically?

Filing

You can choose "Someone else". As long as you are preparing for a family member and they are aware of what you are doing, there should not be a problem if you file a return for them. You can also choose "My spouse/partner and me", but while you are preparing the return, please keep in mind that the interview questions will refer to “You” and “Your Spouse”, but it will actually mean your parents.

https://turbotax.community.intuit.ca/replies/2647762