Expert Alumni


Yes, you need to include her income from calendar year 2019.  You will have to allocate her P60 document by 3 months / 12 months (unless there is a bonus in there) and then add to it the monthly gross income she received from April 5 to August 2019.

In TurboTax, you will need to enter this income in the foreign earned income exclusion section. (Enter foreign income in the Search box at the top of the page).  When you get to the screen where it asks if you want to see if you qualify for the foreign earned income exclusion, say NO as she does not qualify.


Then you need to enter her foreign tax in the foreign tax credit section of TurboTax to help offset any US taxes. (Enter foreign tax credit in the Search bar at the top of the page)


If you choose to file married filing jointly, you will need to attach a statement to your tax return advising the IRS that you are making the choice to file jointly.  You will both need to declare your worldwide income for calendar year 2019.  Since you need to add the statement attached to your return, you will need to print and mail your return.  You cannot e-file.


You can find a copy of the statement you need to sign on page 9 of Publication 519 under the heading, How to Make the Choice.     Publication 519


Please see the following link for an acceptable currency converter.


Yearly Average Currency Exchange Rates


**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"