Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
zfakher

AFE considered my wife ineligible for bursary during part of 2017, so we paid them back the amount received in 2018. How do we declare this?

My wife received a bursay during the first Quarter of 2017. However, in 2018, after declaring the 2017 taxes, Aide financier aux Etudes (AFE) du Quebec considered my wife ineligible for that bursary due to some overlap with another program. So, we were asked to return back the full amount and we did.

By 2019, The AFE gave us a document called "Bursary Overpayment" to be used in tax declaration as some sort of income deduction. Please help us on how we input this in our declaration using turbo-tax?

1 Reply

AFE considered my wife ineligible for bursary during part of 2017, so we paid them back the amount received in 2018. How do we declare this?

To input this deduction using TurboTax Online or TurboTax Desktop EasyStep, you can go to Deductions > Other Deductions > Miscellaneous Deductions.  Enter the amount beside the line that says Repayment of research grants, scholarships or any similar financial assistance (TurboTax Online) or Scholarships paid back (TurboTax Desktop).

To input this deduction using TurboTax Desktop Forms mode, search for the form called Other, and enter the repayment under Other Deductions - Line 232, Scholarships paid back.