Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I don't want to file this tax return how do i cancel?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

There is no need to cancel.  You can simply log out. Your tax return will not be filed unless you pay for your return and Netfile or print and mail your return.

Your data will be saved and should you wish to come back at a later time and complete your tax return, you can log back in and pick up where you left off.

View solution in original post

8 Replies
aasheehan

I also do not wish to file my tax return with turbotax.  I do not like the idea of my email address, name, and password being on file. How can I get that information removed?

Hi,
I understand why you may want to do this.  Unfortunately you can't delete an account but there are a couple things you can do
(***Note that these steps are irreversible!):
- Login to your account
- At the top, click Tools->Update Account.
- Change your password and email to something else.  Close the dialog when you're done.
- At the top, click Tools->Return Manager.  Click the blue "Create a New Return" button to create a new blank tax return.  This step is necessary because you can't delete the tax return that you're currently editing (The active return).
- Go back to Tools->Return Manager.  Click the RedX that is next to the first return.  This will delete your information and leave only the blank return in your account.
- Logout.

Thanks Jeff.
All done

Hi,

There is no need to cancel.  You can simply log out. Your tax return will not be filed unless you pay for your return and Netfile or print and mail your return.

Your data will be saved and should you wish to come back at a later time and complete your tax return, you can log back in and pick up where you left off.

And if you've netfile'd the return?! Can it be cancelled once it has been sent?!?

If you successfully NETFILE and received a confirmation number, you can't cancel or make any further changes until you receive your Notice of Assessment.

Please view this link to the CRA site for details on changing your return after submission:
http://www.netfile.gc.ca/fq_ftr-eng.html#mstk

Too confusing for this senior.  I will visit my accountant and have my taxes done for me.

@46southlawn

Please follow this link for instructions on to cancel your return: How do I delete a return in the online version of TurboTax?