Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I claim the cost of a return flight -I had to change due to a medical emerg. I had while on vacation and was not allowed to leave the country due to hospitalization?

3 Replies

Can I claim the cost of a return flight -I had to change due to a medical emerg. I had while on vacation and was not allowed to leave the country due to hospitalization?

That's a very interesting question and scenario. You may want to contact CRA for a definite answer on this as they may take into consideration the uniqueness of your situation. (1-800-959-8281)

From the information I've come across, you probably would not qualify for a medical travel expense deduction for your flight as you did not specifically travel over 80kms one way to get medical services that were not available near your home. 

If you had purchased Travel Medical Insurance, the cost of those premiums would be deductible. 

Here's the CRA publication on Medical Expenses you can and cannot claim: https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/forms-publications/publications/rc4065/medical-expe...

Yes I already read and did not find my answer there, I will have to call CRA. I did purchase Travel Insurance, it covered the cost of the medical emergency only, not the cost of the flight I had to take due to having to stay longer from the accident. So I can claim the cost of the Travel Insurance Premiums?  Can I also claim the cost of the deductible I had to pay?
Thanks

If you purchased Travel Medical Insurance, you can claim as a Medical Expense under the Medical Expenses Profile.
Whether you are traveling for medical procedures, business purposes or just entertainment, you may write off the cost of your travel medical insurance premiums. You may not deduct premiums for trip cancellation or other types of travel insurance. If you buy a comprehensive travel insurance policy, you may only deduct the portion of the policy’s premium related to travel medical insurance. And "yes", your deductible would qualify in the same way as it does when claiming Private Health Service Plan deductions.