Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Doing mom's taxes...dad passed last year and she has T4A, T4A(OAS), T4A(P) for estate C-O to her. ...do i add this with her's?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
fuzzy

Doing mom's taxes...dad passed last year and she has T4A, T4A(OAS), T4A(P) for estate C-O to her. ...do i add this with her's?

No.  You will prepare a return for your Dad and enter his income for the year up until the time he passed.  A separate return will be prepared for your Mom reporting only her income for the year.  You should be aware that you cannot net file your Dad's return.  Canada Revenue specifies that in the year of his passing, his return must be paper filed.  Because of this restriction,  you should not select joint preparation when doing their returns.  For more info regarding the filing of a final return, please see http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/ndvdls/lf-vnts/dth/fnl/menu-eng.html

View solution in original post

2 Replies
fuzzy

No.  You will prepare a return for your Dad and enter his income for the year up until the time he passed.  A separate return will be prepared for your Mom reporting only her income for the year.  You should be aware that you cannot net file your Dad's return.  Canada Revenue specifies that in the year of his passing, his return must be paper filed.  Because of this restriction,  you should not select joint preparation when doing their returns.  For more info regarding the filing of a final return, please see http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/ndvdls/lf-vnts/dth/fnl/menu-eng.html

Can one not use joint preparation but then send both returns in print?