Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CCB is only source of income, what do I file?

OK, so I'm only asking this to be completely 100% sure what to do, because I've received conflicting answers from CRA, and other "tax experts".

I'm a stay at home Mum, I don't work due to medical reasons (I don't receive ODSP), and haven't worked in many years. The only "income" I personally receive each month is the [newly formed] CCB. Now I completely understand that the CCB is tax free, and because of that, we no longer receive an RC62. So because I don't work and have no income in that respect to claim, and the CCB is tax free, do I claim that I received no income for 2017? 

I understand this may be a silly question, but again, I've been given conflicting answers, and really don't want to do something wrong.

Thanks!

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

You need to file a tax return in order to continue with CCB.

But do NOT report CCB as income. It is a non-taxable benefit, not reported on any T-slip.

I am surprised that CRA staff were not clear about this.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

You need to file a tax return in order to continue with CCB.

But do NOT report CCB as income. It is a non-taxable benefit, not reported on any T-slip.

I am surprised that CRA staff were not clear about this.

I was quite surprised too. They've honestly led me on a Goose chase through various departments for the answer, and most have said YES that I need to file it as income, and I should've received an RC62 - When I know for sure there was no reason for me to.
I'll definitely be filing a return for sure, but when doing so, claim that I received no income, correct?

Correct!