Solved: CRA assessment is different and want to revise 201...

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
EnglishEN

Pick a language

Français English
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

CRA assessment is different and want to revise 2013 turbo tax to match before starting 2014 return.All the info i had entered on 2013 has been double checked

All the info i had entered on 2013 has been double checked.  CRA assessment is different and i want to revise 2013 to match 2014 before starting this year's return.

I prepared son's income tax with turbo tax 2013.  19 yrs old in 2013.  full time student and works part time.  when entering CPP on turbo tax - the amount did not show as overpayment but the CRA assessment came back as overpayment.  Assessment also shows insurable earnings lower than T4.  How to revise info on turbo tax 2013 so it transfers correctly on 2014 software?

Thanks

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

CRA assessment is different and want to revise 2013 turbo tax to match before starting 2014 return.All the info i had entered on 2013 has been double checked

You'd better ask CRA that.
Don't worry about 2013, it's history. Use your 2013 Notice of Assessment to ensure all personal details and carryforward amounts for 2014 match CRA records. Use My Account for CRA if you have access, in order to verify carryforward amounts.

Import previous year simply pulls in personal details and carryforwards, nothing else.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Highlighted

i forgot to mention that the overpayment on the software was 2.87 but CRA shows all of the cpp paid was overpayment.  Of course, if i revise the cpp on the software double the 'actual', then i come up with an overpayment on the software but that is not the real 'actual' amount....
Highlighted

Also, assessment shows adjustment of federal and provincial adjustment for the tuition amount - increased - which includes prior years.  Why?  all the amounts i entered are correct - adjustment increase of $630.00.  Do i need to revise 2013 before installing 2014?  if yes - where?  i tried increasing unused fed and prov amount by this difference but the results does not change
Highlighted

after further investigation - i found that 2013 unused fed and prov tuition amount increase is the same amount as CPP (630.00).  When i checkmark CPP exempt, all values balance to CRA assessment. The last thing we need to know is why did the CRA made the CPP exempt with a 16K income - 19 yrs old - part time job - 8 months full time student/4 months full time student?  The T4 did not have the CPP exempt checkmarked.  The new 2014 also does not have CPP exempt box checkmarked.  Will i also need to make his CPP exempt this year?
Highlighted

You'd better ask CRA that.
Don't worry about 2013, it's history. Use your 2013 Notice of Assessment to ensure all personal details and carryforward amounts for 2014 match CRA records. Use My Account for CRA if you have access, in order to verify carryforward amounts.

Import previous year simply pulls in personal details and carryforwards, nothing else.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Thank you for your answer Tony - i will call CRA to find out exactly why CPP was made exempt and if it should again be made exempt for this year even though it is not exempt on T4
v