Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Does not doing my 2016 taxes on time effect my 2017 tax return in terms of how much I get? I did my 2016 taxes yesterday using turbotax...

I didnt file my 2016 taxes on time. So I did it this year using the turbo tax 2016... I'm wondering if it will effect my 2017 tax return. Should I wait for 2016 taxes to be filed (it's already been sent through e-file) before I submit my 2017 tax return? I'm wondering if it is going to effect my return.

1 Reply

Does not doing my 2016 taxes on time effect my 2017 tax return in terms of how much I get? I did my 2016 taxes yesterday using turbotax...

It depends on what you have on your return. If you have something like carry forwards (Tuition, losses), RRSP contributions or something else that affects multiples years, then what you did in 2016 will affect your 2017 return.

If you do file your 2017 return and then find out you need to make a change based on your 2016 return, you can always make an adjustment.

To make adjustments on a tax return that has already been filed: https://turbotax.community.intuit.ca/replies/2647992