Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Vahid
Returning Member

Form T1159 in TurboTax Desktop

I need to file my 2022 tax for electing under section 216. There is an option in TurboTax online to select 2022 residency as non-resident S216 that does exactly what I need, but I cannot find the same option in TurboTax Desktop Premier.

Eventually when I select non-resident S216 in online product I get form T1159. I searched all supported forms in TurboTax desktop Premier, but form T1159 is not listed there.

Can you confirm that non-resident S216 (form T1159) is only supported in online Turbotax and not the desktop version?

6 Replies

You will find Non-Resident S-16 in the Provincial section of the TurboTax CD/Download. Once you go to Provincial click on get organized- Choose Non-Resident S-16 and the following pages is where you will enter your information.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

Vahid
Returning Member

In TurboTax desktop version, on the Provincial tab there there is an options for:

"Non-resident making a Section 216.1 election"

But I'm looking for Non-resident making a Section 216 election, not 216.1 election.

Section 216.1 is different than Section 216:

-Section 216.1 is for film and video acting services rendered in Canada

-Section 216 is rental income from real or immovable property in Canada or timber royalties on a timber resource property or a timber limit in Canada

There is no option in Turbotax desktop in provincial tab for section 216. Please verify

Can you please show where you find the T1159 in TTO and not in TTD? I want to make sure that we are looking for the same thing so that I can replicate what you are doing.  (You can send a picture of the page T1159)

Vahid
Returning Member

Here is a screenshot of TurboTax online where you can select "Non-Resident S.216" in the "Province of Residence" section. Once you select this option, the online version will generate form T1159 and you can download, print and mail it to CRA.

Screenshot 2023-03-01 at 8.16.28 AM.png

Here is a screenshot of TurboTax desktop where in the "Province of Residence" questionnaire there is no option to "Non-Resident S.216". Also you cannot find form T1159 in form lookup in TurboTax desktop.

IMAGE 2023-03-01 08_35_09.jpg

Thank you for that information - TTD doesn't support the T1159 Income Tax Return for Electing Under Section 216.  If you are non-residents, and only have a T776, then it might be possible to paper-file a printed version of the T1 in TTD.   You would need to indicate clearly on Page 1 that it is an "Income Tax Return for Electing under Section 216".   Indicate they are a non-resident, and complete the T776 and attach it to the return.  If you have an NR4 with tax withheld (25%?) it would go in box 437.   You would also need to attach the slip.

To make it easier you can  fill out the T776 in TTD as mentioned above. Print out a T1159 from the CRA site and just fill in the applicable line numbers from the TTD T1. Here is the T1159.

Vahid
Returning Member

Thank you for sharing the information.

It's interesting that form T1159 is accessible in the TurboTax online version, but not in the desktop version.

I have a suggestion that may be more beneficial. Rather than paying for the desktop version and having to file taxes manually, I will return the desktop version and purchase TurboTax's online version, which supports form T1159 for non-resident S.216.

In addition, I suggest creating a webpage that allows customers to compare the supported forms between TurboTax's online and desktop versions prior to purchasing. This would greatly reduce confusion and potential headaches for customers. Currently, there is no information available online that explicitly states that TurboTax Desktop does not support form T1159.