Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sonja500

Is there a date after which I cannot use this software, an expiration date?

I have several years of taxes to file.  I was told by CRA that I cannot use online software and that I must download the forms from CRA.  Why can I not use online?  I am assuming it is because there is an expiration date (each year) on the software, so that previous years' forms would not be capable of being used. 

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

What CRA is saying us that you cannot now NetFile 2013 and earlier years taxes.
You can still use Turbotax to prepare printed mail-in returns for earlier years. Or you could download forms from CRAA to do the same.
The software does not expire in that sense. If you wishe to file 2013 taxes, you could use Turbotax 2013 to do the preparation and print a return for mailing.

View solution in original post

4 Replies

What CRA is saying us that you cannot now NetFile 2013 and earlier years taxes.
You can still use Turbotax to prepare printed mail-in returns for earlier years. Or you could download forms from CRAA to do the same.
The software does not expire in that sense. If you wishe to file 2013 taxes, you could use Turbotax 2013 to do the preparation and print a return for mailing.

Hi sonja500,

Here is a link to TurboTax prior year software. http://turbotax.intuit.ca/tax-software/prior-year-catalogue.jsp

As TonyC1 said, you can still complete your taxes with the prior year software, but you will need to mail your returns to the CRA as NETFILE (the electronic way of filing) is only available for the 2013 and 2014 tax year (NETFILE reopens on February 9th for these years).

sonja500

Hope I'm getting this right.  So the point of using the software would be that it guides me through the form online (which of course CRA doesn't do!), BUT I just can't do the actual filing electronically - I have to print out the form and mail it.  I'm talking about years going back to 2005.  Thanks.

You seem to have got it ok!
At this time, nobody can NetFile returns for 2013 or earlier years, with any software or on-line tax product.
But you can still use software for 2013 or earlier to prepare T1 returns to be mailed in.

The real purpose of tax software is to help you through the return, identify any credits and deductions and make sure all the math is done right. On line filing is a cost-reduction for CRA, which is why they offer NetFile as a free service. From a taxpayer standpoint you may get your refund 2 or 3 weeks sooner at the height of the tax season. No big deal.