Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
posted Oct 30, 2019 11:59:15 PM

How can I overcome a problem of Turbo Tax being unable to download tax info from CRA?

I'm filing a joint return. The auto fill feature works for spouse but not for the other. After successfully logging into the CRA site, TurboTax tells me it is unable to download the info.

1 55 7419
24 Replies
Level 11
Oct 30, 2019 11:59:16 PM

Depending on the browser, the log in info might be sticking from the first Autofill. The easiest way to solve this is to log into the first spouse's CRA My Account directly (not through TurboTax) and then log out. By logging out from the service directly, you should be then able to log into the other spouse's return directly from TurboTax.

Oct 30, 2019 11:59:17 PM

Thanks for your reply. I tried your suggestion but got the same response from TurboTax, unfortunately, i.e., "We weren't able to download your info. We got an error when trying to connect to the CRA. Don't worry; we'll help you get the info you have into all the right spots in just a few steps." But no further steps were shown after that.

Oct 30, 2019 11:59:19 PM

By the way, my browser is MS Edge. I have tried clearing browser history and re-installing TurboTax to no avail. TurboTax still gets an error when trying to connect to CRA for my spouse's tax info. It works OK for mine. It worked OK for both of us last year.

Level 11
Oct 30, 2019 11:59:20 PM

Do you have any trouble logging into the account from outside TurboTax?

Oct 30, 2019 11:59:22 PM

No trouble logging in that way.

Level 11
Oct 30, 2019 11:59:23 PM

One more option to try is to keep the My Account window for your spouse open on the browser and then launch the Autofill  option. We haven't be notified of any similar issues so I'd like to eliminate any easy solves before arranging for a call from our Support team.

Oct 30, 2019 11:59:25 PM

I have tried that idea and got the same result, i.e., TurboTax not able to download the info because it detects an error when trying to connect to CRA.

Oct 30, 2019 11:59:26 PM

I just tried it again and, for some unknown reason, it worked! I didn't do anything differently. In any event, thank you very much for your quick responses.

Level 11
Oct 30, 2019 11:59:28 PM

Happy it worked! 🙂

Oct 30, 2019 11:59:29 PM

I finally figured what was causing the problem - Trusteer End-point Protection, which I use for accessing bank accounts. There are two ways to access My Account - by sign-in partner or by user ID and password. I use the user ID and password method. For my spouse, I use the Sign-in partner process. When I click on the sign-in partner, a bank, Trusteer End-point Protection kicks in. (It doesn't when using the direct user ID process.) The Trusteer "guard" subsequently prevents third party access and downloading of the tax info. I was able to disable Trusteer, enabling TurboTax to then access and download the info.

Level 11
Oct 30, 2019 11:59:31 PM

Thanks for sharing that info. Good to know for us as well!

Mar 10, 2020 11:41:38 AM

Downloading  CRA to Turbo tax is not happening. CRA account is functioning properly - Turbo tax is the problem

Level 1
Apr 12, 2022 12:59:08 PM

Same problem. My information came in after several attempts. My spouses information is still sitting in limbo. Turbo tax comes up saying CONNECTING and that's it. I have tried several different ways of connecting to CRA. We use partner banking log in with two layers of security. Wish Turbo Tax could get their act together as we had similar problems last season and I ended up manually filling in my wife's slips. Lets get this fixed as it makes an otherwise great product sort of half AS""ed

Level 1
Apr 21, 2022 2:59:49 PM

Same problem.  TurboTax downloads my T slip info, but when we try to download my spouse's info, after logging into to CRA, we get a ERR.021 error.  Spouse can log in externally no problem and we even checked with CRA (on hold for a total for 5 hours) and the account is fine.  TurboTax is not able to make a proper request to CRA for the second taxpayer.  Happened last year too.  Please fix this!!

Apr 24, 2022 3:56:24 PM

If you are still not able to resolve this issue, please contact our phone support team at 1-888-829-8608.

Sep 17, 2023 5:48:49 PM

This appears to be random.

Upon failure, simply hit the 'Back' button in Turbotax, and when you see the page to begin the auto-fill steps just try it again. And a couple of times more if necessary. 

That's how this thing behaved on my end, and I was able to autofill 2 returns doing so. I didn't have to change any settings, or clear cookies or anything.

Because of the random nature, you may hear people claiming that they fixed it by changing some setting or taking extra steps, but it's probably just noise.

Btw, I encountered this issue for the first time while submitting 2022 returns. Never before that.

Level 15
Sep 18, 2023 9:41:44 AM

Thank you for your feedback we will be sure to let the appropriate team know of this issue.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

Mar 21, 2024 8:22:36 AM

It wont work for me still doing the same

Mar 21, 2024 8:31:56 AM

Have you tried clearing your cache/cookies, signing out of your return and restarting your computer? Some have success by changing the browser they are using.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

Mar 21, 2024 9:12:45 AM

the only thing i didnt try was restarting computer! I have tryed everything else . I will update u soon.

Mar 21, 2024 9:14:16 AM

Thank you.

Mar 21, 2024 2:03:26 PM

restart didnt change a thing. Every time i go to download my spouse. It says im still logged in.

Ive deleted the file started over. Cleaned the cache everything. Just keeps doing the same thing. Says im still logged into Cra. wow

Mar 21, 2024 2:15:09 PM

@Hogiie Have you tried using InCognito/Private mode in your browser? If you have a different computer or a mobile device, you can try to do the auto-fill there, and then come back to your regular computer to continue with the return.

Mar 21, 2024 4:41:42 PM

yes, i tried that also! Im going to try on my laptop tomorrow....

Ive never had this problem.  Same computer as last year.  Im baffled?

Had enough today.  Thank you.