Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I enter a T5 that It is not joint with my spouse. your software does not let me split the interest income. How can I do this without effecting my spouse income?

I have an investment joint with my mother.  I would like to report the T5 without effecting my spouse.

2 Replies

How do I enter a T5 that It is not joint with my spouse. your software does not let me split the interest income. How can I do this without effecting my spouse income?

To split your T5 with someone other than your spouse, simply report the portion that applies to you on your own tax return and provide the other joint account holder(s) with a copy of the T5 slip in order for them to report the proportionate income on their tax return.

Retain your copy of the tax slip and your explanation as to why you have not reported the full amount in your own file in case you are asked for it by CRA.

If you do not want to affect your spouse's income, you must only report "on your return" the amount of the T5 income that applies to you and leave the "percentage" field at 100%.