Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I report my spouse's T4 net income and his self-employment income?

My spouse worked 3 months on contract and was paid a gross amount with no deductions. For his total net income, do I add his T4 amount to the gross amount?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
TaxHelp5

You will report T4 income from a T4 slip only.

For contract income that you do not receive a T4 or T4A slip for you will have to claim that as self-employment income on a business statement. Do not add that income to a T4 as additional income.

If you are asking how to claim on your return then yes, add his T4 Box 14 income together with his self-employment income (if there were no expenses claimed) to arrive at his net income as long as there were no other deductions like contributions to an RRSP or union dues paid. 

It is always better to prepare both tax returns together at the same time so that you don't have to copy over this information from one return to the other.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
TaxHelp5

You will report T4 income from a T4 slip only.

For contract income that you do not receive a T4 or T4A slip for you will have to claim that as self-employment income on a business statement. Do not add that income to a T4 as additional income.

If you are asking how to claim on your return then yes, add his T4 Box 14 income together with his self-employment income (if there were no expenses claimed) to arrive at his net income as long as there were no other deductions like contributions to an RRSP or union dues paid. 

It is always better to prepare both tax returns together at the same time so that you don't have to copy over this information from one return to the other.