Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results forĀ 
Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 

If I turned 18 on 29 December 2017, am I exempt from paying income tax for the year, or will I have to pay full income tax because I was 18 before the end of the year?

2 Replies

If I turned 18 on 29 December 2017, am I exempt from paying income tax for the year, or will I have to pay full income tax because I was 18 before the end of the year?

How much income tax one pays is based on how much money (income) they made, not their age.

But, most young people get a nice tax refund because they don't typically make much money. šŸ˜‰

Our TurboTax Free edition is totally free to prepare and file a return and is very easy to use. Why not plug your info in, to see where you stand for tax year 2017?

Check out TurboTax Free for tax year 2017 here: https://turbotax.intuit.ca/personal-tax-software/free-online.jsp

It does matter, because under the age of 18, you are exempt from paying income tax. So because she was 18 for 3 days out of the year, she has to pay what she would if she was 18 on January first? That's what I am trying to figure out. Shes gotten all tax paid, back as a return because she was under the age of majority. So essentially, she gets screwed out of $800 on her return, because she was 18 for 3 days out of the year...