Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
posted Apr 26, 2022 12:40:17 PM

How will I know if CRA got my files when I filled my income tax through TurboTax?

This is my first time using TurboTax to do my own tax for 2021, most of my taxes were done by an accountant, and her price is getting higher every year so I decided to do my own this year. TurboTax seems pretty straightforward and I made sure that all the information that I entered was right before I sent it. With that being said, how do I know if CRA got my info from Turbotax? How long is the processing before I get my returns?

Thanks in advance for the help.

0 1 437
1 Replies
Level 3
Apr 26, 2022 2:10:54 PM

Once your personal income tax return has been filed, your return is uploaded to the Canada Revenue Agency(CRA) through NETFILE, as you will receive a confirmation number which is your proof that your tax return was filed and received by the CRA.

This confirmation number is important for two reasons, the first being, that you know your return was submitted and received by the CRA, and secondly, if there are ever any questions from the CRA around the filing of your return, like the date it was filed, you have the proof.

You will successfully NETFILE your tax return when you receive a confirmation number at the end of the process. If you do not receive a confirmation number, your tax return has not been transmitted to the CRA through NETFILE.

For more information please refer to the following TurboTax article:

NETFILE is Open: Learn How To Use NETFILE for your 2021 Tax Return 

How do I know if my return was filed using NETFILE and received by the CRA? 

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.