Pick a language

Français English
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 1

I am a first time tax filer with CRA and using Turbotax NETFILE option however I am receiving an error when trying to file that I am not a first time filer.

The Canada Revenue Agency was unable to process your return.

Our records indicate you are not filing an income tax return for the first time with the Canada Revenue Agency. Please go back in your software and ensure you do not identify yourself as someone who is filing an income tax return for the first time and submit your tax return again.

If you require assistance, please contact your tax preparation software provider.
1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Level 1

I am a first time tax filer with CRA and using Turbotax NETFILE option however I am receiving an error when trying to file that I am not a first time filer.

First time filers - Do not use NETFILE. Irrespective of tax software you use, just print and mail your documents to CRA. 

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Level 1

First time filers - Do not use NETFILE. Irrespective of tax software you use, just print and mail your documents to CRA. 

View solution in original post

Level 1

There must be something that the CRA has in their records that indicates you are not a first time filer. If you file as a non first time filer to net file the CRA will be able to process your return. When they review your return they will advise if there are any issues.

Level 1

Thank you Chris for a prompt response. I was able to get in touch with the Turbo Tax customer service and I was a little surprised with the response. It seems there is a restriction in place (from CRA) for the first time filers using NETFILE. However, this fact is not uncovered until you have completed all the relevant forms and payment. When I specifically asked about it, the representative from turbo tax told me that it was a restriction from CRA and not from turbo tax. So, if you change the option to 'not first time filer', it may go through. Long story short: "First time filers - Do not use NETFILE. Just print and mail your documents to CRA."