Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I am unemployed in canada doing home parenting. My wife makes the money. Do we do coupled returns? Do I need to do a t4 slip even if I was unemployed?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I am unemployed in canada doing home parenting. My wife makes the money. Do we do coupled returns? Do I need to do a t4 slip even if I was unemployed?

If your income was nil you are not legally required to file a tax return for yourself, however you would also miss out on other benefits.  Both you and your wife need to file to continue to receive child tax benefits.  As to how you file both returns, it is best to file both returns together however if you choose to file separately that is your choice.   You will still file as married and report each other's net income and SIN.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

If your income was nil you are not legally required to file a tax return for yourself, however you would also miss out on other benefits.  Both you and your wife need to file to continue to receive child tax benefits.  As to how you file both returns, it is best to file both returns together however if you choose to file separately that is your choice.   You will still file as married and report each other's net income and SIN.