Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tax11

I have a capital gain from a T4PS slip. I also have carried forward capital losses. Where do I apply my capital losses to the T4PS capital gain?

Do i re-enter the capital gain in the investment section?
1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I have a capital gain from a T4PS slip. I also have carried forward capital losses. Where do I apply my capital losses to the T4PS capital gain?

You do not need to enter the information from the T4PS twice.  As long as you have entered the information from the T4PS, and also that you have capital losses from prior years (and the amount), the software will apply the losses for you.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

You do not need to enter the information from the T4PS twice.  As long as you have entered the information from the T4PS, and also that you have capital losses from prior years (and the amount), the software will apply the losses for you.

Kjb1117

My losses are 10 years old.  I do not think the software has this info.  Can I enter it.

TurboTaxHeba
Intuit Alumni

CRA will keep your record of capital losses forever and the non-capital losses for 20 years. If the losses are more than 10 years old, you will not be able to import them using AFR, instead, you have to enter them manually. 

Search for "losses" using the magnifying glass on the top bar. Choose what type of losses you are claiming. To claim a capital loss against a capital gain from T4PS, choose "Net-Capital loss".

Check this link on how to report capital gains: https://turbotax.community.intuit.ca/community/investments/help/where-do-i-report-capital-gai...

I hope this was helpful