Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have a simple return and a very low income. When I chose the "free" option I understood it was because my return was so simple. I was charged $101 RT!! Why?

5 Replies

I have a simple return and a very low income. When I chose the "free" option I understood it was because my return was so simple. I was charged $101 RT!! Why?

A basic return prepared in TurboTax Online Free costs $0.00, but if you any other upgrades or extra features, you’ll need to pay for them.

Unfortunately, there is no way to downgrade a TurboTax product once you have upgraded it. You would need to create a new Free return and then re-enter your information.

To start a new return, select “Start a New Return” from under “My Returns” in the left side menu. Once you have started your new return, you can select “View All Tax Returns” from under “My Returns”, and delete the unwanted return by clicking the small Trash Can next to it.

It’s too late, I e-filed my daughter’s return before I noticed the $110 RTF. I chose the free return because she is low income and has a simple return. At no time did I upgrade. I was charged $110 for a simple return and I would like this returned. As a long time turbo tax customer I can say this will be the last time I use your product unless it’s resolved

Please contact our customer service for assistance with a refund.

https://turbotax.community.intuit.ca/community/product-information/help/contact-us/00/873707

ALSPAL905

I NEED AN ANSWER

There have been changes made to TurboTax Online for 2021. Please see these TurboTax FAQs for more information:

Why did I have to upgrade my TurboTax Online edition?

Who can file for free using TurboTax?