Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have filed my tax return with my wife's and we end up being owed but I have to still pay my own?

After filing our returns, overall we should be receiving a check. I however owe money and my wife gains. Do I need to pay and then have my wife receive a large check? I thought filing together meant together?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
fuzzy

I have filed my tax return with my wife's and we end up being owed but I have to still pay my own?

There is no such thing as a joint return in Canada.  Although you may have prepared your returns together, you have created 2 separate returns under 2 separate accounts.  Canada Revenue does not permit the transfer of one person's refund to another person's balance due or vice versa.  As such, you will pay your balance owing and your wife will receive her refund.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
fuzzy

There is no such thing as a joint return in Canada.  Although you may have prepared your returns together, you have created 2 separate returns under 2 separate accounts.  Canada Revenue does not permit the transfer of one person's refund to another person's balance due or vice versa.  As such, you will pay your balance owing and your wife will receive her refund.