Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Turbotax standard 2018 has deleted ALL my tax files for 2018. Even a return that I have already filed, is gone.

I closed turbo tax and one hour later when I returned to netfile, all the files in my directory are gone. Every single file even a return I filed yesterday.
1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Turbotax standard 2018 has deleted ALL my tax files for 2018. Even a return that I have already filed, is gone.

I'm sorry you are having issues with the software, your best option is to contact our support team, as they will be able to view your screen and guide you through finding your files on your computer, if the agent is unable to resolve your issue, please request to have your situation "escalated" to a higher level. Answer the questions, so it guides you towards the right team.  Apply the drop downs and you will get a phone number specified to your question (ie - support, care): 

View solution in original post

3 Replies

I'm sorry you are having issues with the software, your best option is to contact our support team, as they will be able to view your screen and guide you through finding your files on your computer, if the agent is unable to resolve your issue, please request to have your situation "escalated" to a higher level. Answer the questions, so it guides you towards the right team.  Apply the drop downs and you will get a phone number specified to your question (ie - support, care): 

Thank you for this suggestion. I placed a call and was sent a manual update. That update restored the data temporarily; the proceeded to « save as Â» every return that I could open and placed the files on a USB key. Turbotax was unable to write to my computer.  The support person had mentioned that I should reboot as soon as I ran the update but that would have resulted in totally lost files I think.  The season is over now but anyone reading can benefit from always having a copy of all files on a USB key. The software probably ran an auto update that recreated a blank directory at some point.
Anyway I was happy with the support and thankful that I was paranoid enough not to reboot without a backup.

@angrybird30 - thank you so much for giving us some feedback. This will be part of resolving issues for future years. Very glad you managed to get it all together. Take Care!