Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
Returning Member
posted Feb 11, 2024 2:31:26 PM

I purchased Turbo Tax Deluxe (8 Returns). Why does Turbo Tax state that there will be an additional cost of $42 for my and my spouse's tax returns?

0 14 1043
14 Replies
Feb 11, 2024 2:42:04 PM

With TurboTax Online, you pay based on what is on the return. If you start a Deluxe return, but enter something that’s not available in Deluxe, then you’ll be upgraded. If you have activated a Deluxe 8 Return code, then you will only have to pay the difference between Deluxe and whatever your return needs.

Returning Member
Feb 11, 2024 3:13:46 PM

I don't understand. I purchased and activated Turbo Tax Deluxe which is supposed to provide up to 8 Returns. I start to input my information when it asks if I am including  my wife's Return.  I indicated "yes" and all of a sudden Intuit says it will cost me an additional $42?  Why? I already paid for 8 Returns when I purchased the Deluxe version.

Feb 11, 2024 3:51:08 PM

Did you enter your activation code at turbotax.ca/activate before starting your returns?

Returning Member
Feb 13, 2024 2:23:32 PM

Yes I input the activation code where you stated.  This makes no sense to me.

Feb 14, 2024 7:06:32 AM

The information entered might be making you upgrade. Are you claiming any investments? If yes, then you need to use Premier edition or it may be that your code wasn't entered properly.  Please log back into your TurboTax Online and see if it shows that you purchased 8 returns.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

Returning Member
Feb 14, 2024 7:44:06 AM

Thanks.  It definitely shows that I purchased turbo tax deluxe 8 returns.  Can I deactivate then reactivate?

Feb 14, 2024 7:47:06 AM

Unfortunately deactivation is not an option. In order to help you with this situation, we believe your best option is to contact our telephone support team for further assistance, as they have the option to view your screen to help resolve the issue. To contact them, please follow this link: Contact Us

​​​​​​​Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

Feb 22, 2024 4:32:41 PM

Exact same thing is happening to me.

I purchased TurboTax deluxe 8 returns online and started my son's return, imported information from last years downloaded version without any issues.

I then started a second return for me and my wife. Imported the tt22 file for my wife and I from last years downloaded version of TurboTax and am being asked to pay $42 if I want to file the returns jointly or $21 for each return if filed separately.  Haven't even really started the second return. Only just started importing the information from the 2022 return.

It appears that I can only prepare and file one return even though paid for 8 returns.

Used downloaded version for years without any issues.  Only have ever filed 3 returns. No issues with the downloaded version.  Real issue with doing more than one return with online version for the first time this year. 

Mar 22, 2024 11:42:00 AM

Why did turboxtax did not include investments this year in the deluxe version and moved it to the premier edition?

Mar 22, 2024 12:13:22 PM

There have been changes made to TurboTax Online. Please see these TurboTax FAQs for more information: Why did I have to upgrade my TurboTax Online edition?

Mar 22, 2024 12:31:40 PM

I understand but I purchased the 8 returns at costco based on all the previous years experience and now they are unusable and cannot be refunded simply because I have T5s and T5008 in my returns...

I wish I would have known that turbo tax had changed their pricing structure beforehand.

Mar 22, 2024 12:44:56 PM

Thank you for your feedback, we value your opinion and will share this information with the proper TurboTax team. The software can still be used with an upgrade when needed. If you wish to apply for a refund, please see our TurboTax FAQ: How do I get a refund for a TurboTax product? Please make sure to choose From another retailer.

Level 1
Apr 15, 2024 5:17:47 AM

I  have same situation as Frank. I have always used the Deluxe version from Costco and have never had any issues filing T5013 or T5008. This year it will not let me go any further until I upgrade. This is a money grab as now I have to pay double. So I guess I will go back to paper form as your program offers nothing to the consumer except more money out of their pocket. Why did you have to make these changes?

Apr 15, 2024 6:06:15 AM

Thank you for your feedback. If our software detects that your tax situation requires expanded coverage, we'll prompt you to upgrade to a version that supports the forms you need so that we can maximize your credits, tax deductions and ensure you file an accurate return.