Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wendyl

I received short term disability that is non-taxable for 2018. How do I enter it as there is no T4?

Do I need to report non-taxable disability payment?  I was told no T4 will be issued.  Just to clarify, I got disability payments for 6 months through the union.  There are 4 months that I worked and I got a T4 for that which I reported.

This is what I got from the union:  benefits are not taxable because it is a self-insured plan. You have already paid income tax on the monthly fee deducted from your salary, therefore the benefits cannot be taxed. You will not receive a T4. 

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I received short term disability that is non-taxable for 2018. How do I enter it as there is no T4?

The information provided by the union is correct. If you received benefits from a self-insured plan, this income is not taxable and does not need to be included anywhere on your tax return.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

The information provided by the union is correct. If you received benefits from a self-insured plan, this income is not taxable and does not need to be included anywhere on your tax return.

bigdaddy2570
Returning Member

Hello,

I recently had hip surgery and have been on short term disability.Do I have to claim the payments as income? My union says they do not provide a T4 because no tax was taken.Thanks for the help.