Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I started a return on Turbotax online for sister on my computer but she completed it on hers using a different login. Now she cant netfile. Could that be the issue

i started the return for my sister on my computer under my login but she ended up completing it on her computer with her own new login. Now she is receiving an unspecified error while trying to netfile. Could the reason be because I have a return started for her under my account? If so, how do I delete it so she can complete her filing?

1 Reply

I started a return on Turbotax online for sister on my computer but she completed it on hers using a different login. Now she cant netfile. Could that be the issue

The return you created for her shouldn’t be a problem unless you NETFILEd it. But then she would get an error message saying it was already filed.

As to why she can’t file, we would have to know what message/error she sees when she tries to file. But some common reasons are:

- If she is filing for the first time, the CRA won’t have all her information on file and she will have to print and mail her return.

- If she is a non-resident or her home address is outside of Canada, she will have to print and mail her return.

- If she is using form T1229 – Statement of Resource Expenses and Depletion Allowance, this form has not been finalized yet, so can’t be NETFILEd. It should be ready by the end of the week.

- Double check that she (and her spouse, if she has one) have not accidentally said “YES” to the Tax on Split Income (TOSI) question. Use the Find tool (or the Forms lookup) to search for Tax on Split Income, answer the question “NO” and click “Continue” to save. Then try to file again, starting from the beginning of the Review section.  To get there, select “Get Started” from under “Review” in the left side menu.