English EN

Pick a language

Canada Français United States of America English
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
catherine2

I switched from Windows to Mac computer. Can I transfer my turbotax 2016 windows tax file (.tt16) to a Mac 2017 online turboxtax to file my 2017 tax return?

just want to know if my 2016 turbotax windows tax file can be transferred to a 2017 online turbotax mac version before I buy the 2017 turbotax for mac.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
TurboTaxTara

I switched from Windows to Mac computer. Can I transfer my turbotax 2016 windows tax file (.tt16) to a Mac 2017 online turboxtax to file my 2017 tax return?

We don't make a native Mac version of TurboTax. To use TurboTax on your Mac, you'll need to switch to one of our online editions. But good news, you can transfer your prior year returns prepared in the Windows version into your current year TurboTax online return. You'll just need to find those files on your Windows computer (the *.TT16 files) and copy them somewhere on your Mac. Then, when TurboTax online asks you if you want to transfer from a prior year, browse to those *.TT16 files to import them.

https://turbotax.community.intuit.ca/replies/2647961

https://turbotax.community.intuit.ca/replies/2647977

View solution in original post

8 Replies
TurboTaxTara

We don't make a native Mac version of TurboTax. To use TurboTax on your Mac, you'll need to switch to one of our online editions. But good news, you can transfer your prior year returns prepared in the Windows version into your current year TurboTax online return. You'll just need to find those files on your Windows computer (the *.TT16 files) and copy them somewhere on your Mac. Then, when TurboTax online asks you if you want to transfer from a prior year, browse to those *.TT16 files to import them.

https://turbotax.community.intuit.ca/replies/2647961

https://turbotax.community.intuit.ca/replies/2647977

View solution in original post

Bob 3

I bought Turbotax for windows but I can not install to my desktop Computer due to operating system is Windows 7 now I bought Macbook pro laptop can I install turbo tax for windows?

TurboTaxBrenda1

Unfortunately, you can't install TurboTax CD/download versions on a MAC it is not compatible. You will need to use our Online version. 

If you purchased the wrong version please click here

Here are the options when using a MAC

zdvdla

I had he same issue. I set up the free service that Apple ships with all laptops called Bootcamp. In my opinion, it is a bit faster then the other options, as it is created to work with the mac hardware.

You will have to provide a windows OS, but I have been running TT on my mac since 2017.

The keyboard shortcuts require an app called Sharp Keys. I thought I could do without it, but finally gave in and it really saved my sanity. Hope that helps..

sfz005

I don't get it, you don't make a Mac version?

We purchased TurboTax 2020 on Amazon. They sent us the installation CD that has on the front cover: Windows or Mac. We had already installed TT on Windows. I installed TT on my new Mac and it acts just like TurboTax.

However, we started this year's return on TT on Windows. Had an issue, put it aside. Back again and trying to transfer the previous Windows file to Mac. But TT on the Mac claims the file is not valid (wrong date or something). Need to fix this quickly.

sfz005

I didn't ask the question... does anyone know how to fix the TurboTax file created on Windows that won't load on the Mac?

Carla venda

At least for US purchases:  If you purchased TurboTax for PC and Mac and created an account with intuit.com, Intuit might have a record of your purchase. If you bought the disks off of Amazon from another seller, I don't know if that product can be downloaded except by the original registrant/purchaser. If you bought the CD from an authorized seller, you can probably register your software purchase with Intuit. I would try calling their sales number or their customer service phone number, which you can eventually find on their support website.

For instance, I used to have TurboTax mail me a copy of the CDs every year by subscription. Now I am able to go back onto intuit.com to My Account, poke around through my past purchases, and download the Mac DMG file to download for those years, back to 2014. It's not that easy to find but it's there.  

I just recently downloaded 2016's DMG file and installed it no problem on my 2019 Mac. There should be a similar downloadable version of the CD available for 2020, given that Intuit apparently sold a CD version - as you mentioned, if the OEM product packaging says "for PC or Mac", you should be able to install it.

See if you can find this option. You can't install a PC installer file on a Mac as-is, but there should have been a DMG file or similar installer on that CD.

Carla venda

I ran into a similar problem and the solution was to 1. open TurboTax for Mac, and 2. FIRST make sure to install the State/Province before 3. opening the data file of the tax return you want to reopen on the new computer. Otherwise, the data file gives that weird message about the wrong date or wrong file type. 

v